PEB: a preface :
PEBs or Pre-engineered buildings are different in the type of construction. They are generally fabricated elsewhere and not cast in-situ. The raw materials in use are generally I sections and C sections of different grades of steel structures. Only those pertaining to manufacturing methods are applied which corroborates to the specific structural design as well as the particular architectural aesthetics.
The different components of pre-engineered buildings are generally formed generally of structural steel. These components are tailor-made according to the needs as well as the dimensions of the building that is to be erected. Hence the measurements should be particularly made to achieve such a degree of precision or accuracy so that later when they are transported to the location where they are to be assembled and erected, they are not of sizes that sync.
These components come in the form of I sections or Z sections or C sections and are manufactured in the plant or the factory through the process of welding different sizes and shapes of steel. Finally, they are transported to the requisite spot of assembly and put together using manual or mechanized methods.
Various advantages of PEBs or pre-engineered buildings :
- Quality control: The factor of utmost importance that outweighs all others is quality control. In a pre-engineered building, all the constituent structures like different forms of truss members; for example, the horizontal, vertical, as well as purlin members and even their fasteners like bolts and rivets, are made in the forging shop. Certain members who do not require fasteners or cannot be assembled together in this fashion are welded and given their preferred shapes.
The design methodology followed in building a pre-engineered building is generally referred to standardized codes of practice like the AISC, ASCE, and IS-800. The clauses of these codes are taken into consideration and hence the design standards are maintained in the factory or manufacturing unit. The quality maintenance is supervised generally by a quality control engineer or supervisor.
- Cost control: Since the design and manufacturing part do not require tedious processes encountered at the construction sites or do not have to face adverse climatic conditions that might affect their design and construction, therefore a lot of overhead costs is reduced. The cost is reduced by a huge margin from the ones that are cast in-situ.
- Construction time: The construction time is minimized because of the usage of mechanization as well as software, instead of only manual labor.
- Low maintenance costs and the high warranty period: Since the basic structural components of PEBs is steel it is by far more durable than any other building material. Hence the regular maintenance costs, as well as maintenance costs that occur from time to time, are reduced to a huge extent. This also guarantees a longer period of the structural integrity of the building, throughout which it can sustain various catastrophes- including environmental and other damages.
- Erection time: The various individual structural components are brought to the site of construction and are put together in no time using both manual and mechanized labor. Hence the construction time of a pre-engineered building is the lowest.
Applications of PEBs :
- Industrial applications: PEBs are extremely important for industrial purposes as initially, one chooses the site where he wants to develop the industry. Accordingly, a pre-engineered building is brought together at the preferred location. They can be made to form industrial shades of factories, workshops, warehouses and even the whole structure of cold storages, car parking shades, etc.
Heavy industries like cement plants, ceramic factories, iron, and steel plants often employ only PEB as their sole structural component.
- Commercial applications: Since PEBs are easily transported to the site and hence erected, they can be employed in the construction of showrooms, shopping malls, offices, distribution centers, supermarkets, and even restaurants. Keeping the aesthetic aspect aside, the structure also is extremely durable that aids in augmenting the confidence of the customer as well as shopkeepers.
- Institutional usages: Pre-engineered buildings are perfect for institutional applications. They can be used to construct the basic structures of schools, auditoriums, exhibition centers, and even the structure of theatres. Structures that serve moral and human necessities like Hospitals are even constructed using PEBs.
- Military and other applications in defense: PEBs and their component members are heavily used during war conditions. Even in normal situations, PEBs find their applications in the construction of Aircraft Hangers, Residential Barracks for soldiers as well as Administrative buildings.
- Agricultural purposes: PEBs, unlike popular beliefs, find their usage in the agricultural industry too. They can be used to provide the structures for dairy farms, animal shelters, poultry farms, greenhouses, grain-storage centers, slaughterhouses and the like.
- Recreational applications: There have been different famous stadiums in the world that have their entire arrangement made out of PEBs or their components. Indoor stadiums, tennis courts, gymnasiums and even the closed structures of swimming pools are basically fashioned out of pre-engineered buildings.
These, in short, are the applications of a pre-engineered building. They are great structures that provide versatility as well as durability.